22 January 2007

Green Moong Dal

A powerhouse of nutrition and good health, green moong dal (whole) finds a place practically in all kitchen shelves. Consuming dal with rice or rotis which supplement essential amino acids, enhance the intake of proteins contained in dals. It is easy to digest and also contain traces of vitamins, fibre and minerals.

Finding its place in everyday cooking, this dish is simple to prepare and served with roti.

Ingredients:
1 cup green moong dal whole
1 onion chopped finely
1 tsp ginger paste
1 tsp garlic paste
1 small piece of ginger
2 green chillies slit
1 large tomato pureed
1 tsp jeera
½ tsp red chilly powder
½ tsp turmeric powder
½ tsp dhania powder
2 tsp oil
Salt as per taste
Chopped coriander for garnishing
½ tsp garam masala powder
Ghee for tempering

Soak dal in sufficient water for ½ an hour. Pressure cook dal with salt, red chilly powder, turmeric and ginger piece till well cooked. In a pan, heat oil and sauté onions and ginger-garlic paste. Add dhania powder, slit green chilly and tomato puree and sauté till the oil separates. Add the cooked dal and adjust spices, salt and consistency. Heat ghee in a pan, add jeera and let it splutter. Add red chilly powder to this and pour over the dal. Garnish with garam masala powder and coriander leaves.

A twist to the tale : If this dal is left over, heat the dal till it is thick and the water evaporates. On a plate, keep a slice of bread, spread some dal over it, add chopped onions and amchur/mango powder over it. Place one more slice of bread over it to sandwich it and enjoy!!

My entry to My Dhaba's VCC:VCC Q4-2006:FAHC:FAHC-campaign

10 comments:

FH said...

I love Moong too.Great recipe!:)

Mishmash ! said...

Jyothsna, Thankx for visiting my blog :)
Thanks for sharing this recipe, I love green moong dhal :)
Shn

J said...

Asha, Shn thankyou! I glad there are takers for the simple moong dal!!

Mrs. K said...

Good one!
Loved the idea of dal sandwich too.

Maheswari said...

Looks good jyotsna.I make it especially for rotis.I liked the sandwich idea.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jyothsna. Nice blog you have here. My hubby makes it exactly the same way and it tastes heavenly. Good twist in the end too!

J said...

RP, Maheshwari, Hema thanks for visiting! I'm glad you liked the sandwich idea. :)

Unknown said...

It was fantastic. I just finished preparing and having it too. Keep up the good work.

Unknown said...

Just made this one in the morning for our lunch. A cup of green moong curry with a roti is as homely and filling as it gets! Good to come to you blog, my first time here and probably the first foodblogger I'm seeing from your side of the world (other than my dhaba ofcourse)

Cya around

Anonymous said...

Great recipe, thank you! Loved the sandwich tip.