21 March 2007

Safety Moment

My husband was discussing the HSEQ practices in his company. As most of you may already know, HSEQ stands for Health, Safety, Environment and Quality. I consider the kitchen my domain – surely most of you do too. But how conscious are we about safety in our kitchens? Do we remember to wipe of those tiny drops of water we spill on the kitchen floor? Do we realise how unsafe our kitchens can be for curious little kids? Do we know of the hazards posed by our kitchen appliances? And those sharp knives lying around? Or those tea towels thrown around carelessly?

My husband encouraged me to hold a Safety Moment on my blog. What do we do here, discuss kitchen safety ofcourse! I first thought this would be a one-off event, but the more I thought about it, I realised there were many safety issues to address. Here's what I propose. There will be a topic for each month. All of you are invited to provide your views/suggestions on that topic. It may be just a line, a word of caution, a piece of advice. If any of you would like to share any experience/ incident you, or someone you know, have had, we will be happy to learn from you. You may post an article on your blog on the given topic, or add a line to your regular post highlighting the safety moment. Do you want to express your thoughts pictorially? You are welcome to send in any sketches/pictures/cartoons (yes, we can make this a fun event too!)

What are your thoughts on this? Please let me know. Would you like to host this event? Your comments, suggestions, advise are welcome. Spare a moment, make our kitchens safe!

The topic for the month is General Safety. Since this idea is still new among us, let's touch on general safety measures we should follow in our kitchens. What can we write here…..dangers of hot surfaces, sharp objects, clothing, lifting heavy kitchen items, steam/vapour build-up….. the list can go on. As I've said earlier, you may mail me your views or experience on the topic or include a Safety Moment in your post, even if it is a single line. Mail me a link to your Safety Moment at vjyothsna1@yahoo.com along with your name, your blog name and URL by March 31. I shall do a round-up in the first week of April.

32 comments:

FH said...

Sounds like fun J!:))

My kids are older of course but still there are many dangers lurking around.Mixing Pina Colada and cooking is one hazard!!;D

Mishmash ! said...

So u re the new TQM manager for the blogosphere !! ;) hey just kidding..good luck with ur event.

Shn

Sharmi said...

very essential event Jyo.Its really necessary esp. for the kids. I have lots to share regarding this.

cheers
sharmi

Sig said...

safety shmafety, where is the pina colada recipe...:)

Jokes aside, it is a great topic. Apart from the physical hazards, another topic to cover is healthy cooking enviroment. One of my biggest pet peeves around the kitchen is how some use thier cutting board to cut meat, leave it outside, and reuse it to cut some other meat after a while... That has to be the biggest germ breeding ground!!!

TNL said...

Lovely Idea...J..and a very important too....will certainly contribute.

trupti

J said...

Asha - I'd love if you contribute to this too. I've updated the post, check it out.

Shn - Nah! I'm not even trying to be a fire warden here! Please do contribute, and chk the update.

Sharmi - Yeah, I had been mulling over this for a while, wasn't sure if this would work.

Sig - Your area of concern will be covered in Food Safety. You have a valid point here.

Trupti - Thanks dear! Will need proactive members like you to make the safety moment successful.

FH said...

Thanks for alcohol free Pina Colada J!! Make sure you tell us deadline every time and remind once in a while.Lakshmi K just launched one event too "Tamil cuisine"!

swapna susarla said...

Wonderful thought jyothsna.This will be a very interesting topic.

Anonymous said...

Very interesting event Jyotsana. I would definitely contribute...

Pina colada recipe is Great and Easy too!!!

Prema Sundar said...

good idea JO .. All the best

Unknown said...

Thats very thoughtful Jyothsna! Though we don't have kids yet, it will make an interesting read about what people have to say about this!

Coffee said...

Interesting!!!!!! Great thought J!!!!!

Pinacolada is great!!!!

J said...

Thanks Asha, Swapna, Sushma, Prema, Nandita, Coffee!

This event is not for kids alone, even the big ones tend to be careless in the kitchen. Please contribute, send in your entries.

Sreelu said...

Very intresting event , just got both my left hand figures bandaged because of my experiments with new knife .will contribute my story

Sreelu

http://sreelus.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Jyothsna, this is a great idea and I may have one for you, too. It happened to me last month and I am still shaking from it. Will share soon!

Chandrika said...

Jyothsna, a very good and important event! Will surely participate!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jyothsna,
I posted the Safety moment on my blog and also sent an e mail to you. Though it was for April sorry I posted it early as I am going on holiday and may not have access to net :)
Lovely alcohol free Pina Colada . Must try this :)

Maneka Nirmal said...

wonderfull idea Jo...
'll sure participate..

J said...

Sreelu,Manisha - All of us will surely learn something from your experience.

Chandrika, Maneka - Thanks, do participate.

Archana - Yes, I did receive your entry, and it is in time for March.

Sia said...

its a very good event J. small tips will be life savings:)

Meeta K. Wolff said...

Pina Colada looks great. A nice event idea and a good theme for my team blog Daily Tiffin. I'll do a little write up next week.

KF said...

Great Idea Jyo, I have also lot to share.Pina Colada looks good.Karutha saree vache edutha photo aano?

Kajal said...

Hi Jyothsna,
Pinacolad is great………….no words for appreciated.
Thanks for sharing.
Cheers.
-Kajal

J said...

Sia, Kitchen fairy - Please send in your contribution.

Meeta - Thanks, look forward to what you have to say.

Kajal - Welcome here. And do send in your contribution to this event.

Gattina Cheung said...

a very meaningful event! I'll think about it :D
And what an easy breezy beverage recipe!

J said...

Thanks Gattina!

Anonymous said...

Hi jyotsna
I think this is sure good event where each of us can learn from the other when any accident while cooking and waht measure to take.

Loved the recipe too;)

Mandira said...

Jyothsna - Pina colada looks amazing. With summer just ahead (I can't wait) this will be perfect. Will certainly contribute to the event.

J said...

Thankyou Roopa and Mandira, do contribute.

Anonymous said...

Jyo, wonderful idea. Very essential both for beginners and pros. This is a great way of sharing experiences and ideas. Pina Colade looks so good! Lovely.

Anonymous said...

It is remarkable, rather useful phrase

Jitendra Indave said...

sound interesting one...hmm !