28 July 2007

Black eyes bean / Rongi Cutlets

It's evening. I stretch my legs on the couch, reach for the remote and flick the TV on. The phone rings, hubby tells me he'll be home sooner than usual. Now that's great news and the perfect setting to have a snack and tea – not something we do usually. Checking the fridge, I find some leftover rongi staring at me. Now, I'm not in a mood to have the same thing again for dinner, and being the way I am, I cannot throw it away either! I wondered if the leftover rongi would turn into a chubby, charming cutlet. With a light salad on the side, it seemed perfect for an instant evening snack. Here we go, ready, steady, cook!

I had around 2 cups leftover rongi to make around 12 cutlets. The rongi should not be runny at all, it should be thick. As the rongi already contains spices, it didn't require any more. Run a potato under water, stick the wet potato in the microwave, cover and cook it for 3 minutes and leave it in the microwave itself for another minute. Remove, peel and mash it. I tore 2 slices of bread, ran it in the chopper for a few seconds. Add it with the mashed potato to the rongi to bind it and shape into cutlets. Heat oil in a pan, shallow fry the cutlets 5-6 at a time, about 2-3 minutes each side on a medium flame. As all the ingredients are already cooked, you don't have to fry it too long.

While the cutlets are frying, grate a carrot, chop some coriander leaves finely and slice an onion and mix them. Squeeze half a lime over it, add some salt and pepper and toss.


I served the cutlets with bread, the salad, tomato ketchup, mango-chilli sauce and tea. The whole process took about 20 minutes. It was a complete meal with a bit of all nutrients -carbohydrates (bread, potatoes, breadcrumbs); proteins (rongi/black eyed beans); vitamins(salad); minerals (spices); fat (oil). This idea should work with left over rajma or kale channe or chhole too.

I'm sending this over to Mallugirl for her Summer Express Cooking Event.

39 comments:

Suganya said...

That is far elaborate than an English tea :)

SeeC said...

Nice evening snack. Very innovative. Appreciate your idea.

Saju said...

what a great idea! We sometimes make tikis or bhajia from leftover kitchri (mung bean and rice).

FH said...

J,great recipe out of leftover beans.Looks delicious! May be you could send this to Shaheen's new event? Enjoy girl.happy weekend:))

Padma said...

Great recipe Jyosthna....very simple, quick and easy tea time snacker. Nice idea for leftover beans!

Neelam said...

I like your idea..I have made these cutlets once with kale chane!

J said...

Suganya - :)

SeeC - Thanks!

Saju - I want to learn that... coming over right now!

Asha - I just sent it to Mallugirl, not sure if it fits her theme.

Padma - It was more like a dinner for us :)

Neelam - I'm going to make extra kale channe next time, you know why ;)

Anonymous said...

This sounds as a really great idea, I have never made anything like this before...shud try next time I think of snacks

Viji said...

Nice idea, and it looks delicious. Viji

indosungod said...

Jyotsana those are some lovely cutlets, leftover Lobhia curry did you simmer it down to become thick?

Perfect snack!

J said...

Bhags - Good idea na?

Viji - Thanks!

Indo - I make lobhia thick only to go with rotis/parathas. You can simmer it if it's runny.

archana said...

Snack looks tasty Jyothsna :)
Nice way to use leftovers :)

Shah cooks said...

nice way to use leftover beans!! i am sure it tastes great too. the spices definitely must be adding a kick to it.

Sia said...

oh wow!!! this is what u have been telling me abt:) love the idea jyo... n thank god i am checking ur blog after lunch(make it heavy lunch;)

Roopa said...

cool idea jo to use the leftover for cutlet...:)

Sig said...

Thats great when you can just whip up a delicious snack like that from left overs.... Looks great... This gives me some great lefover food ideas... :)

Dhana said...

Wow, 20 minutes for a nutritious meal...nice!
Btw, you have been tagged.

Sandeepa(Bong Mom's CookBook/DesiMomzClub) said...

Nice snack and sure made the hubby ver happy :)

J said...

Mallugirl - Thanks! You can add additional spices for more kick!

Sia - Yeah, you were on my mind when I made those :)

Roopa - Ya, I can't throw good fod away!

Sig - The moment I saw your name I thought of chicken cutlets!! :))

Dhana - You didn't count the whole hour I was cooking rongi the previous day? ;)

Sandeepa - Junk food always makes us happy!! :D

J said...

Archana - Thanks!

Ramya's Mane Adige said...

Hey, nice way to use up the leftover stuff!!! Thanx for the idea :)
btw, I have tagged you for the Meme.. play along if you find time!

Nanditha Prabhu said...

that was nice!
shows how innovative you are!

Poonam said...

Hey, thats a perfect use for any leftover meal and cooked under 30 minutes!!

Richa said...

yummy way to use up those leftovers :)

J said...

Ramya - Thanks for the tag. I'll take it up sometime.

Nandu - Not very innovative, but trying to be inspired!

Poonam - I like cooking that gets over soon!

Richa - Thanks!

bee said...

you can send this over to mallugal for her expres meal event. nice one.

Prajusha said...

Nice Idea.
thanks for sharing it.

Pravs said...

Oh this is creative cooking :D
Have not tried this type of cutlets. So it must have been a wholesome evening snacking :)

Mandira said...

great recipe for a quick tasty snack from leftovers. yummy!

Susan said...

I would be happy with double the cutlets, some rice and a vegetable for a full meal. This is a nice change from throwing leftover beans into a broth (my idea of quick meal).

J said...

Bee - I've sent it to Mallugirl, thanks!

Prajusha, Pravs, Mandira - Thankyou! It was dinner for us, you can say!

Susan - You make a broth with leftover beans?! I still prefer it with bread and a salad :)

USHA said...

Wonderful entry for the event..healthy cutlets too...

Anonymous said...

Looks like a really yummy meal, Jyothsna! I love easy ways to use up leftovers. Will have to make your rongi so I can make the cutlets the next day! ;)

Sharmi said...

that sounds like a healthy cutlet. I too have a cutlet to post. your version looks so good.

Suganya said...

This sounds so healthy.....Love them....

Suma Gandlur said...

Healthy one. I have tired this with green grams too.

J said...

Usha, Sukanya - Thankyou!

Linda - Make some extra rongi, I liked the cutlets better! :)

Sharmi - I'll come over to check your version!

Suma - Green gram? I have to try that one too.

Prema Sundar said...

Nice creative snack with the leftover black eye beans.

J said...

Thanks Prema!