9 October 2007

Aloo Anardhana

What do you think of the painting and sculpture? Read more about it later in this post.
Aloo Anardhana
Recipe adapted from an old issue of Living in the Gulf

10 baby potatoes (I used regular ones in this picture)
1 tsp cumin
1 large onion chopped
1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
2 tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp garam masala
2 tbsp anardhana/dry pomegranate seeds
butter/oil for frying
chopped coriander for garnish

Peel and wash the potatoes. Place the potatoes in a MW safe bowl, add a little water, salt and turmeric to it and microwave on high till parboiled. Remove and drain the water.

Blend pomegranate seeds with a little water. Heat oil/butter in a wok and add the cumin. When it splutters, add onions and fry till they turn golden-brown. Add the ginger-garlic paste and fry. Then add the pomegranate seeds paste, red chilli powder and garam masala. Add the potatoes and fry on low flame till the potatoes are cooked and the flavours are absorbed. All the moisture will be absorbed by the potatoes. Garnish with coriander leaves, check seasoning and serve with naans.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The legend of Wilhelm Tell

Wilhelm Tell, who lived in Altdorf, is regarded the national hero of Switzerland whose picture graces the 5-franc coin. Switzerland was once ruled by the Austrians. Bailiff Gessler, the Austrian representative would place his hat on a pole in Altdorf so that every passer-by would pay their respects by greeting the hat. Wilhelm Tell and his son passed by without revering the hat. This disobedience warranted their arrest and Gessler offered to free them if Wilhelm Tell shot an arrow through an apple placed on his son's head. Read more of the story here and here.

The painting and sculpture at the top of this post are made of chocolate, we saw how at Schuh. And so are these.




















Don't you agree a holiday is a welcome break from the routine? Walking miles exploring the countryside and tucking into all the healthy C's like colas, chips, crackers, cookies, cheese, cakes, chocolates......... and all that sum up to the big C = calories, is perfectly my kind of holiday! ;) What's yours? :-)

31 comments:

Cynthia said...

It is one of the best kinds of holidays.

Pooja Na(i)rayan said...

I saw 2nd picture and thought it was white chocolate . But the first picture thru me off. Its work of art. It was more like marble painting. The aloos looks like a piece of art. Always in look out for veg recipes to make for parties. Xt party will surely have this

Susan said...

I just bought Hunza dried pomegranate seeds (had to have them), but didn't have a clue what to do with them (something Persian?) until now. Thanks for the idea, Jyothsna.

Don't you love the smell of those chocolate shops when you step inside? Looks like you had a wonderful time.

Sharmi said...

sculptures made of chocolate looks so beautiful. thanks for sharing! the aloo subzi sounds very nice. I keep adding anardana powder to most of my subzis!

Swaruchy said...

Beautiful sculptures dear....aI kept seeing the second picture...looks so lovely and to think it is white choclate.....Nice one....
And thatz a nice little Alu recipe :-)

Anonymous said...

those are made from chocolat???? very creative work by the artist. Kudo's to him!

J said...

Cynthia - Yes. And after such holidays, I have spend half my life in the gym :)

Mocha - Thanks for stopping by! The sculptures were pretty. Not my aaloos tho'. It will surely be a party hit, just dress them well.

Susan - Oh, the chocolate shops smelt heavenly, esp the room where we saw the chocolate making at Schuh's. You can try adding a very small amount of pomegrante seeds to your dishes to perk up the flavour. See if you like it.

Sharmi - I use anardhana in limited dishes only. but I love the flavour.

Sirisha - I longed to bring one home!! but....

Grihini - They are made using moulds!

indosungod said...

What is a holiday when the calorie counting is not thrown to the wind. That is my kind of holiday too.

Aloo looks great too, let me looks out for some pome seeds.

Bharathy said...

I too make this whole baby potatoe masala..havent heard of anardhana before..:)...sounds good!!!

Chocolate sculptures are something unique too..thanks for the pretty pics..:)

He he my kinda holiday is the same too...gobbling up lots of nonveg...even now I am a little over weight only..:)

Padma said...

Aloo with anardana sounds interesting! Will try to get some on my next visit to groceries! those chocolate art is amazing!

Sig said...

Wow, those choco sculptures look so beautiful... all those c's, no wonder you are still in holiday mood... :) My perfect holiday would include lots and lots of food too... and not much walking ;)

Mishmash ! said...

Wonder how I missed this post!! What a beautiful piece of art!!! Is it 100% chocos or are some of them have a cake base too??
Thanks for sharing a recipe with dried pomegranate seeds...I have never used them in cooking..this is a new info for me :)

Shn

J said...

Indo - Glad you agree :)

Bharathy - :)))

Padma - It tastes great and is easy to prepare.

Sig - I've had such a long week, it feels as if I took the holiday a year ago!

Shn - I think my post didn't show on FBD. Yes it's 100% chocolate. I've mailed you.

Bong Mom said...

Those scuptures are so beautiful, first i thought you made them :)
The aloo with pomengranate seeds sounds rightly exotic

KayKat said...

Mmm ... I've made rajma anardhana and I loved it. This sounds like a great twist - I'll bet the tartness of the pomegranate will blend really well with the starchy potatoes.

Those sculptures are awesome!

Bong Mom said...

check this link for the Pressure Cooker steaming method for sandesh
http://www.harekrsna.com/practice/prasadam/recipes/sweets3h.htm

Nanditha Prabhu said...

i have never cooked with pomegranate seeds! thanks for the recipe!
you seem to have had a great holiday!
walking among those chocolate sculpture would it self be a pleasure!

sra said...

chocolate? wow!
my idea of a holiday: not having to work for a living is holiday enough, in my current state of mind; doing only the jobs/things you want and like to do (like blogging), eating all the Cs you mentioned (that was a cute line, btw) without worrying about putting on weight/post-pig-out regrets, being out with friends all day, giggling and talking like there's no tomorrow ... will save the rest for another day.

DK said...

work of art and chocolate! wow mindblowing!

Never used anarshana seeds bfore..time's come now i guess!

Shella said...

Alu anardana is a nice combo. Never had it , but should try it soon.

Lotus Reads said...

I remember the "Living in the Gulf" issues so well, when I lived in Dubai I used to collect them all for the recipes, nice to see they are still going strong!

J said...

Sandeepa - Me and sculpture?? Haha :D

Kaykat - Welcome here! Rajma anardhana sounds exotic!

Sandeepa - Thanks for the link!

Nanditha - It was a pleasure~!

Sra - nice to know you are like minded!!

Dhivya - Oh yes, the sculptures were awesome!

Shella - Try usuing anardhana seeds, you may like the flavour!

Lotus - YEs, it's still going strong! :)

Bong Mom said...

very funny, but this is happening everytime I am seeing this post...as soon as I see the tiltle and the sculpture i.e. just as the page loads , guess what my mind reads... "Aloo ARADHANA" :D
This happened for the nth time now.

sra said...

Jyotsna, I'd tagged you for a meme, take it up if you like.

Sia said...

thats a "delicious" art jyo:)

Lissie said...

hi jyothsna, the aloo sounds delicious!
i love to travel! had been on an european holiday few years ago. also lived in Vienna as a missionary. i am down the memory lane... :))

Susan from Food Blogga said...

I've never seen dried pomegranate seeds before. I love strolling (without wearing a watch) through the city streets and people watching while having a coffee at a local cafe.

J said...

Sandeepa - Lol!!! I misread stuff all the time!! :)

Sra - Thanks girl! I'll take it up later.

Sia - :) Reminds me of Hansel and Gretel!

Lissie - Welcome here! Those are some good memories isn't it?

Susan - Surprisingly, pomegranate seeds seem new to a lot of people!

Viji said...

Aloo Anardhana is very nice and so the pictures. Very nice. Viji

J said...

Thankyou Viji!

Anonymous said...

Magnific!